Crew Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Ref. #:2023-078)
Sunwest Aviation Ltd. is the leading Western Canadian operator of jet and turboprop charter aircraft. Our fleet consists of a wide variety of jets, turboprops and piston aircraft. Based on fleet diversity, Sunwest is able to offer excellent opportunity for advancement. With over twenty-five years of safe operation, we have established a solid reputation in the aviation industry. Operating from a modern facility in Calgary, our aircraft are available for charter to thousands of destinations not served by scheduled airlines.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Crew Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. Reporting to the Production Manager, this position is responsible for performing the duties and responsibilities which include, but are not limited to, the following:
Type of Employment:
8 days on, 6 days off day and night rotation
to be determined
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervising and assigning maintenance crews with the tasks to be completed, while providing sound maintenance to Sunwest and customer aircraft fleet.
- Personal responsibility to workplace safety and active involvement with team members ensuring use of safe work practices.
- Adhere to the safety accountabilities as per Sunwest’s Safety Management System manual.
- Thorough familiarity with safety requirements and practice safe work habits.
- Active involvement with the Hazardous Information Tracking System.
- Directly supervise engineers and apprentices on specific duties as assigned on the floor.
- Assign the line maintenance personnel to scheduled/ unscheduled tasks.
- Instruct maintenance crew on the tasks to be completed and ensure that the maintenance personnel have the required knowledge to complete the tasks assigned.
- Aircraft return to service in accordance with (IAW) Sunwest policy manuals and CARs.
- Provide feedback to Production Manager regarding individual crew performance.
- Ensure all appropriate technical entries have been made to the electronic records and journey Log prior to the aircraft being released for flight.
- Communicate with flight crew regarding the condition of the aircraft.
- Communicate with flight crew via Air to Ground Radio when urgent maintenance assistance is required.
- Communicate with the Production Manager on unserviceability and/or deferred defects.
- Communicate with Flight Operations regarding aircraft serviceability.
- Act as Fire Warden when required by the Emergency Response Plan.
- Liaises with the Parts department and in-house shops as required.
- Communicate with Lead Hand on the tasks at hand during the shift.
- Mentor, coach and teach Aircraft Maintenance Engineers, Apprentices, and other entry level personnel.
- Provide oversight and maintain control of aircraft inspection projects.
- Demonstrate professionalism and respect in the workplace.
- Inspect and test aircraft systems to ensure they are in proper working order.
- Diagnose malfunctions or other problems in the aircraft or in mechanical components or systems including engines, hydraulic systems, flight control systems and fuel systems as per technical manuals, engineering drawings or blueprints.
- Disassemble aircraft systems and remove defective components.
- Assemble and/or install replacement parts, components, and structures, as per technical manuals, engineering drawings or blueprints.
- Record problems and the action taken to rectify them, maintaining an accurate record of the maintenance history of the aircraft.
- Work away from base to support aircraft rescue or inspection as required.
- Liaise with vendor/ technical support teams regarding engineering/ repair data procurement and implementation.
- Technical records and other maintenance related research as required.
- Aircraft movement and wing walking.
- Assist with Service Checks, Base Inspection, L-Check, and other daily inspection items.
- Ensure AWP daily and pre use inspections have been completed within the required timelines.
- Aircraft configuration changes as requested by Operations.
- Operate and maintain ground service equipment and tooling.
- Purchase order creation and parts receiving when required.
- Ensure Service Difficulty Reports are completed when required.
- Ensure all required training is complete and up to date.
- Maintain personal tool control in accordance with the General Procedures Manual.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Production Manager.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications and competencies. In addition personality profiling will be required of all candidates granted an interview for this position.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- Sunwest Aviation Type 1,2 and 3 ACAs (Aircraft Certification Authority).
- External applicants must be able to meet the ACA requirements within 6 months of hire.
- Transport Canada AME License Category E, S or M1/M2.
- Ability to maintain a Restricted Airside Identification Card.
- Radio licence.
- Minimum 5 years Sunwest Aviation fleet experience.
- Minimum 1-year relevant Transport Canada type endorsement is considered an asset.
- Prior supervisory experience is considered an asset.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Good leadership and team building skills.
- Ability to refer to and follow technical manuals, written in terse abbreviated language.
- Must be able to read and interpret technical drawings and blueprints.
- Diagnostic skills requiring sound knowledge of aircraft systems, aerodynamics, aircraft structures, and basic applied mechanics.
- Have a good understanding of CARs.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to work with Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Attention to detail and accuracy is imperative.
- Mechanical aptitude is a necessity.
- Good literacy and numerical skills.
- Must be able to work independently or in a team environment.
- Problem solving skills are critical in handling challenging and complex aircraft system defects.
- Efficient, with good time management skills.
- Demonstrate professionalism and respect in the workplace.
- Good communication skills required, both verbal and written.
- Able to handle multiple tasks calmly.
- Ability to work in challenging “4 season” weather conditions.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and team building skills.
- Ability to provide and receive instructions and delegate accordingly.
- Self-motivated and the ability to take initiative.
- Ability to adapt to changing shift rotation.
- A valid Canadian passport is an asset.
Sunwest offers a competitive, performance-based salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including dental, extended health, life insurance, AD&D, short-term & long-term disability, an Employee & Family Assistance Program, and Group RRSP plan matching. Offering a safe, diverse and innovative environment, Sunwest is respected for integrity and is committed to taking care of our customers, our employees, our partners and our community.
Sunwest Aviation is committed to employment equity and will consider the qualifications, education, knowledge and experience of all candidates. We encourage all candidates to apply and the most qualified candidate will be offered the position.
Email This Job To A Friend: Crew Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer