Flight Safety Speciialist (Ref. #:2020-023)
Sunwest Aviation Ltd. is the leading Western Canadian operator of jet and turboprop charter aircraft. Our fleet consists of a wide variety of jets, turboprops and piston aircraft. Based on fleet diversity, Sunwest is able to offer excellent opportunity for advancement. With over twenty-five years of safe operation, we have established a solid reputation in the aviation industry. Operating from a modern facility in Calgary, our aircraft are available for charter to thousands of destinations not served by scheduled airlines.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Flight Safety Speciialist. Reporting to the Director of Safety, this position is responsible for performing the duties and responsibilities which include, but are not limited to, the following:
Type of Employment:
Monday to Friday 8:00 to 5:00
to be determined
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a flight safety specialist on behalf of the safety department in support of safe flight operations in accordance with SMS policies and procedures.
- To carry out some flying duties as a line pilot on one of the Company's aircraft types.
- The FSS reports to the Director of Safety.
- The FSS aids the Director of Safety in maintaining the Sunwest Aviation Ltd. Safety Program and SMS as it relates to flight safety, and fully participates in the development of safety department policies, processes, and procedures.
- The FSS works to identify and mitigate hazards, reduce risk, and support the highest standard of flight operations.
- In coordination with the Director of Safety, the FSS will:
- Promote safety at Sunwest.
- Maintain flight safety data and monitor and analyze that data for trends or indications of increased risk.
- Investigate, analyze, and seek to identify the cause or probable cause of flight operations hazards, incidents and accidents identified under the SMS including root cause analysis.
- Monitor and evaluate the results of corrective actions with respect to flight operations hazards, incidents and accidents to ensure their effectiveness.
- Report to the Director of Safety and the Director of Flight Operations any hazards to flight safety.
- Participate in the development and day to day management of Flight Operations safety programs like Fatigue Risk Management, Flight Data Monitoring, and safety performance management.
- Monitor the adequacy of Flight Operations personnel training as required by the SMS training program and support the development and delivery of safety training as required.
- Participate in the development of Flight Operations safety performance goals and measuring the attainment of those goals.
- Recommend safety policies and procedures for the Flight Operations department and participate in their development.
- Stay abreast of relevant safety legislative requirements and initiatives as they apply to Sunwest in general, AOSH, OHS and the environment and provide subject matter expertise to support Flight Operations safety efforts in these areas.
- Monitor the concerns of the civil aviation industry in respect of safety and their perceived effect on Sunwest Aviation Ltd.
- Attend Company Safety Committee meetings and report safety related information to the Safety Committee, Director of Safety, and Director of Flight Operations.
- Carry out flying duties as a line pilot on one of Sunwest's aircraft type, and report to the Chief Pilot when carrying out these duties.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Director of Safety.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications and competencies. In addition personality profiling will be required of all candidates granted an interview for this position.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- SMS certificate program successfully completed.
- Event investigation and root cause analysis training.
- Flight safety training courses are an asset.
- Flight Data Monitoring analysis training is an asset.
- Technical data gathering and analysis skills are an asset.
Have or have held a valid Commercial Pilot Licence minimum (Airline Transport Pilot Licence preferred), a valid Instrument Rating and a valid Medical (category 1 or 2 as appropriate).
- 2 years experience working directly in aviation SMS is preferred
- 3 years commercial aviation experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong writing skills and abilities
- Good experience using Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Excellent organizational skills and time management skills
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to develop effective systems and processes
- Self motivated individual with the ability to take initiative
- Must have good organizational, planning and execution skills.
- Exhibit approachability and patience in teaching individuals of all skills levels on various tasks.
- Demonstrate knowledge and display enthusiasm in training individuals on a variety of topics.
Sunwest offers a competitive, performance-based salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including dental, extended health, life insurance, AD&D, short-term & long-term disability, an Employee & Family Assistance Program, and Group RRSP plan matching. Offering a safe, diverse and innovative environment, Sunwest is respected for integrity and is committed to taking care of our customers, our employees, our partners and our community.
Sunwest Aviation is committed to employment equity and will consider the qualifications, education, knowledge and experience of all candidates. We encourage all candidates to apply and the most qualified candidate will be offered the position.
Email This Job To A Friend: Flight Safety Speciialist