Director of Maintenance (Ref. #:2019-006)
Sunwest Aviation Ltd. is the leading Western Canadian operator of jet and turboprop charter aircraft. Our fleet consists of a wide variety of jets, turboprops and piston aircraft. Based on fleet diversity, Sunwest is able to offer excellent opportunity for advancement. With over twenty-five years of safe operation, we have established a solid reputation in the aviation industry. Operating from a modern facility in Calgary, our aircraft are available for charter to thousands of destinations not served by scheduled airlines.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Director of Maintenance. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this position is responsible for performing the duties and responsibilities which include, but are not limited to, the following:
Type of Employment:
Monday to Friday 8:00 to 5:00
Duties and Responsibilities:
Sunwest Aviation Ltd. has an opportunity available for a Director of Maintenance within our Maintenance Operations Department. Reporting to the Vice President & C.O.O., this position is responsible for all portions of CAR 571, 573, and 605 that are applicable to the AMO scope of work and the overall productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness of the Sunwest Maintenance Department. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversight of all management personnel in the Maintenance Department, including promotions and disciplinary action.
- Responsible for oversight of all maintenance activities carried out, including external shops.
- Provide guidance as required to senior maintenance personnel.
- Responsible for all negotiations with respect to maintenance related contracts.
- Make recommendations to the Maintenance Supervisors and ensure resources are available when and where required.
- Overall responsibility for all personnel training and their records per the regulatory requirements.
- Duties associated with these responsibilities are monitored and assigned to other personnel as required.
- Review and approve all operational maintenance invoices.
- In conjunction with the Sunwest Controller (Financial) responsible for:
- Preparation of annual operating budget for both the Maintenance Department as well as the maintenance with respect to each aircraft operated by Sunwest; and
- Investigating variances between budgetary and actual monthly amounts on a regular basis and proceeding accordingly.
- Monitor and maintain acceptable inventory levels in conjunction with Stores and Purchasing.
- Participate in bi-weekly Management Committee meetings and quarterly SMS reviews.
- Strategic planning regarding maintenance activities to include cost budgeting, staffing, shift structure, efficiency and purchasing practices.
- Set standards, policies and procedures to ensure that all maintenance activities, comply with Transport Canada regulations and the Sunwest AMO and related manuals.
- Participate in the Sunwest Safety Management System and ensure that maintenance related hazard reports (HITS) are responded to in a timely and thorough fashion.
- Adhere to the safety accountabilities, safety policies and procedures as per Sunwest’s Safety Management System manual.
- Ensure the safe operation of their organizational areas, and managing the safety of their operational areas through the SMS and its processes.
- Coordinate and communicate with Transport Canada and other agencies and bodies on issues relating to safety.
- Ensure that change is effectively coordinated with other departments and managed within their departments so as to minimize the risk of uncoordinated stakeholder actions.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications and competencies. In addition personality profiling will be required of all candidates granted an interview for this position.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
The successful candidate should possess the following minimum qualifications and competencies. In addition, personality profiling will be required of all candidates granted an interview for this position.
- Transport Canada Approved Aircraft Maintenance & Technology Program.
- Minimum 6 years as a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (M1 & M2).
- Must meet Transport Canada interview requirements and must be qualified in accordance with CAR 573.04.
- Minimum 5 years supervisory/management experience required.
- Strong leadership skills and hands-on management approach.
- High regard for confidentiality and discretion.
- Strategic and proactive thinker.
- Ability to foster relationships at all levels across the company by maintaining confidence and building trust.
- Willingness to delegate effectively.
- Treat people fairly, equitably, and with respect.
- Ability to work effectively within a high pressure environment.
- Adaptability to process changes to achieve improvements in organizational efficiency.
- Strong problem solving, negotiating and decision making abilities.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Attention to detail.
- A highly service-oriented individual.
- Possess strong initiative, self-motivation and a positive attitude.
Sunwest offers a competitive, performance-based salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including dental, extended health, life insurance, AD&D, short-term & long-term disability, an Employee & Family Assistance Program, and Group RRSP plan matching. Offering a safe, diverse and innovative environment, Sunwest is respected for integrity and is committed to taking care of our customers, our employees, our partners and our community.
Sunwest Aviation is committed to employment equity and will consider the qualifications, education, knowledge and experience of all candidates. We encourage all candidates to apply and the most qualified candidate will be offered the position.
Email This Job To A Friend: Director of Maintenance