Aircraft Maintenance Safety Specialist (Ref. #:2019-025)
Sunwest Aviation Ltd. is the leading Western Canadian operator of jet and turboprop charter aircraft. Our fleet consists of a wide variety of jets, turboprops and piston aircraft. Based on fleet diversity, Sunwest is able to offer excellent opportunity for advancement. With over twenty-five years of safe operation, we have established a solid reputation in the aviation industry. Operating from a modern facility in Calgary, our aircraft are available for charter to thousands of destinations not served by scheduled airlines.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Aircraft Maintenance Safety Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Safety, this position is responsible for performing the duties and responsibilities which include, but are not limited to, the following:
Type of Employment:
Monday to Friday 8:00 to 5:00
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position is directly responsible to the Director of Safety.
- This position aids the Director of Safety in continuing the development of the Sunwest Aviation Ltd. Safety Program and SMS, and fully participates in the development of safety department policies, processes, and procedures.
- The AMSS works together with the Director of Safety, and Maintenance leadership, to take appropriate measures to identify hazards, reduce risk, and maintain acceptable operations.
- The AMSS works directly with maintenance in support of maintenance safety investigations, and along with the Director of Safety. In coordination with the Director of Safety the AMSS will,
- Review the SMS, particularly as it relates to Aircraft Maintenance activates to ensure its effectiveness.
- Maintain the safety data system related to maintenance activities to monitor and analyze trends in hazards, incidents and accidents.
- Ensure the timely collection, and collation in the safety database, of information related to hazards, incidents and accidents that may adversely affect safety operations.
- Monitor and evaluate the results of corrective actions with respect to maintenance hazards, incidents and accidents.
- Participate and help to develop aircraft maintenance safety programs like error management and fatigue risk management.
- Investigate, analyze, and seek to identify the cause or probable cause of maintenance and hazards, incidents and accidents identified under the SMS including root cause analysis.
- Investigate, analyze, and seek to identify the cause or probable cause of maintenance operations hazards, incidents and accidents identified under the SMS including root cause analysis.
- Report to the Director of Safety, and the Director of Maintenance, the hazards, incidents and accidents identified and ensure there tracking and processing in the SMS.
- Monitor the concerns of the civil aviation industry in respect of safety and their perceived effect on Sunwest Aviation Ltd.
- Monitor the adequacy of the training for aircraft maintenance personnel as required by the SMS training program, and develop and deliver safety training as required.
- Participate in the development of aircraft maintenance safety performance goals and measuring the attainment of those goals.
- Recommend safety policies and procedures for the aircraft maintenance and participate in their development.
- Stay abreast of relevant safety legislative requirements and initiatives as they apply to Sunwest in general, and provide subject matter expertise to support maintenance safety efforts in these areas.
- Attend Company Safety Committee meetings
- Support Emergency Response needs as a aircraft maintenance specialist and as a Safety Department staff member.
- Prepare appropriate report as required to the DOS and for Management review advising of current safety position/SPI performance for designated area and actions being taken for improvements.
- Promote safety at Sunwest.
- Other duties as assigned by the DOS
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications and competencies. In addition personality profiling will be required of all candidates granted an interview for this position.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- SMS certificate program successfully completed
- Transport Canada Approved Aircraft Maintenance Technology Program.
- Transport Canada “M” License is considered an asset
- 2 years experience working directly in aviation SMS is preferred
- Minimum 3 years of aircraft maintenance experience.
- Prior Sunwest Aviation fleet experience is a definite asset.
- Prior supervisory and/or training experience is preferred.
- Good public speaking and teaching skills with a variety of class sizes is an asset
- Proficiency in utilizing various Microsoft software programs such as PowerPoint, Word, Publisher, etc. in creating the various training programs.
- Good experience using Microsoft Office Suite programs as well as should have good general computer skills.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to develop effective systems and processes
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to take the initiative
- Strong written and verbal communication skills as well as interpersonal skills are required.
- Must have good organizational, planning and execution skills.
- Exhibit approachability and patience in teaching individuals of all skills levels on various tasks.
- Demonstrate knowledge and display enthusiasm in training individuals on a variety of topics.
Sunwest offers a competitive, performance-based salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including dental, extended health, life insurance, AD&D, short-term & long-term disability, an Employee & Family Assistance Program, and Group RRSP plan matching. Offering a safe, diverse and innovative environment, Sunwest is respected for integrity and is committed to taking care of our customers, our employees, our partners and our community.
Sunwest Aviation is committed to employment equity and will consider the qualifications, education, knowledge and experience of all candidates. We encourage all candidates to apply and the most qualified candidate will be offered the position.
Email This Job To A Friend: Aircraft Maintenance Safety Specialist